Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Response to "All Things Censored"

MY OPINION:
I really liked this essay.

WHY:
Espada is straightforward and captivating. His clever use of figurative language and his balanced tone provide a crisp and unique insight into political writing. By beginning his essay with a short sentence, he provides an almost percussive feel, a staccato beat in his battle to shed new light on Mumia. "I was an NPR poet" (270).

The author strengthens his case by continuously citing facts: "In July 1997," "in a statement to WCVB-TV in Boston," etc. His specific use of dates creates a timeline in the minds of the readers that helps to place the events that Espada describes.

As a Mass Communications major, I am inspired by how Espada really took Mumia’s story to heart and ran with it. He manages to professionally distance himself, and at the same time passionately argue Mumia’s case. He balances his opinions and sympathies for Mumia with facts and dates.

The poem itself is beautifully structured despite the graphic nature of the event. The well-chosen line breaks create effective and dramatic pauses. Espada’s descriptions of the prostitute and the tributaries of blood are honest and apt.

I really liked this essay.

7 Comments:

At October 12, 2004 at 10:15 AM, Blogger F. Mitchell said...

I really like your response. It's good how you are able to get to the heart of Espada's own point; your insights may be rooted in your commitment to journalistic ideals. I wonder if responses to the essay will differ according to various professional interests. I'll have to read more and see!

 
At October 12, 2004 at 10:16 AM, Blogger H-Leigh said...

I also liked the essay. The poem was great and was easy for me to understand. The details Espada used were effective because I could almost see the event unfolding in my head.

 
At October 12, 2004 at 10:21 AM, Blogger dcolley said...

I agree with you totally and I really liked how you expressed how you saw Espada in the poem. Good Post!

 
At October 12, 2004 at 10:29 AM, Blogger Vicky Lane said...

I like how you worded your thoughts. You made a really good argument.

 
At October 12, 2004 at 10:34 AM, Blogger Lady Madonna said...

I love how you organized your response. I also like how you talked about Espada's writing techniques - that was a new perspective that I really liked.

 
At October 12, 2004 at 10:45 AM, Blogger B. Roche said...

Good idea to write about Espada's technique. It points out an area that has not been examined by many of the blogs. It provides a whole new way of looking and the article and I think that your analysis is spot on.

 
At October 12, 2004 at 11:18 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I liked the fact that you took a different approach to the story. I think the rest of us are just caught up in arguing for or against censorship. Good Job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home