Thursday, September 23, 2004

Response to "Portrait of My Body"

Wow. Talk about putting it out there. Lopate isn't afraid to expose the intimate part of himself that most people would even be afraid to talk about. Most of the autobiographical essays that I've read before this were not as intruiguing, but Lopate manages to keep his audience going with his humorous tone and blunt confessions. He discusses the defects and scars on his body with equal ease as when he talks about his clothes or childhood memories. Here's my response.....

"Polariod of My Body"
I am a girl who tilts. Not because I wish to defy gravity or view the world from a non perpendicular view, but because I'm balancing a book bag on my shoulder and I'd rather not fall down. Unfortunatly I don't tower over everyone on the sidewalk, I'm only 5"2'. However it does come in handy when I have to move around my 12x12 dorm room. My taller friends frequently ruffle my hair and I've have to master the urge to elbow them in the stomach. My fingers aren't long like a pianist's, but they're strong and can do pretty much what I want when it comes to my guitar. My nails are short and I can't really feel the tips of my fingers anymore because of my calluses. But they're my favorite part of my body because they're reliable. "Whatever narcissism, fetishism, and proud sense of [femininity] I possess about my body must begin and end with my fingers" (222).

6 Comments:

At September 23, 2004 at 10:27 AM, Blogger sowrite said...

Bravo! Eloquently stated without all the gory details. I think Lopate's essay was intriguing because somewhere in those pages readers found something they could identify with.

 
At September 23, 2004 at 10:43 AM, Blogger Brini said...

Well you have accomplished what Lopate did, you kept the humor and I can relate completely. I am 5'1, so I normally do not tower anyone over the age of 10, but that is one thing I love about myself. My nails are also short but I still accomplish everything I need to do with my short, little stubby fingers.

 
At September 23, 2004 at 10:47 AM, Blogger dcolley said...

I really liked your "own" story about this. It was well written and you had great details to top the story off. Well done!!

 
At September 23, 2004 at 10:51 AM, Blogger F. Mitchell said...

I'm glad you told "your story" because it helped address one big issue I've had with the essay. That is, could a woman write like this? Is what Lopate talks about relevant to both women and men? I know that his points about self-absorption are, but his choice of details sometimes made wonder if a woman could provide analogous details. I'm still not convinced, but your response makes me think it's a big possibility!

 
At September 23, 2004 at 11:09 AM, Blogger SummerCatch01 said...

I like how you let us into your own story in relation to Lopate's essay. Women probably tend to pick apart their appearance more than most men. It is good that you talk about your story in a positive way. Lopate's comments left me with an overall negative feeling about his thoughts, but the thoughts you expressed got your point across in a positive way while sparing us some unwanted and very personal details.

 
At September 23, 2004 at 11:27 AM, Blogger funwithwords said...

I find your views interesting. I am also short, and find many good points to it. Although, at times a little height might be a little more effective. I like the way you correlate Lopate's essay to your own life. I think that Lopate surely stepped out of his comfort zone here and made me think maybe I too should take this kinds of steps as a writer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home